Sir David Murray was born on 29 January 1849 in Glasgow. Initially, he earned his living working for merchants in Glasgow which helped fund evening classes at the Glasgow School of Art, where he studied under Robert Greenlees (1820-1894). He lived at 108 West George Street, Glasgow.
From 1875, around the time of his debut at the Royal Academy, he became a full time artist. He exhibited regularly there until the year of his death and also posthumously. Murray was a member of the Glasgow Art Club where he also frequently exhibited. In 1881, he became an associate of the Royal Scottish Academy and by 1882 had moved to London where he lived at 1 Langham Chambers, Portland Place.
Murray became a highly successful artist and was elected associate of the RA on 21 January 1891 and became a full member on 25 January 1905. As well as working in oils and watercolours he also occasionally worked as an illustrator for The English Illustrated Magazine. In 1917 he succeeded Sir James Linton as president of the Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours. A year later in 1918 he received a knighthood. Although Murray spent most of his life painting the landscapes of Scotland and England he also travelled to France and Italy. He died in London on 14 November 1933.
Examples of his work can be found at numerous public collections across the UK including the Dudley Museum, Dundee Art Gallery, Glasgow Museum, Leamington Art Gallery, Maidstone Museum, Paisley Museum, Sheffield Museum, the Tate, Walker Art Gallery and York Art Gallery.
The painting is housed in a new, English made gilt frame which is in excellent condition.
|Image Size||17.75 inches x 23.75 inches (45cm x 60.5cm)|
|Framed Size||26.25 inches x 32.25 inches (66.5cm x 82cm)|