Johannes Bartholomeus van Hove was a Dutch landscape and townscape painter who was born in The Hague on 28 October 1790. He was the son of Hubertus van Hove the elder, an artist framer and gilder and father of Hubertus van Hove (1814-1865) who also became an artist. He was taught by his father and spent his early career at his father’s workshop. After becoming a stamp engraver for a time, he then started working under JHAA Breckenheijmer at The Hague Theatre as a scene painter and decorator. In 1812, he started attending The Hague Academy Teeken where he took art lessons and by in 1819 he took part in his debut exhibition continuing to exhibit regularly until 1879.
In 1820, he became head teacher at The Hague Academy Teeken where he taught art to pupils such as Johannes Bosboom, Wijnand Nuyen, Charles Leickert, Sam and Henry Verveer Weissenbruchstraat. In 1823, he received a commission from the Ministry of War to produce a series of pen drawings of the Dutch army and their uniforms and a few years later in 1829 he succeeded his former teacher as chief scene painter at The Hague Theatre.
He received a number of accolades during his lifetime including a silver medal from the city for his work with the Theatre and Knight of the Order of the Oak Crown by William II and later becoming Officer of the Order. Van Hove was one of the founders of the Pulchri Studio and became the first president of the group, a position he held until 1851. He was also a member of the Amsterdam-based Arti et Amicitiae, of which he became honorary chairman in 1874. He died on 8 November 1880 in The Hague.
Examples of his work can be found in The Hague Museum.
The painting is housed in new English made gilt frame which is in excellent condition.
|Image Size||11 inches x 9.5 inches (28cm x 24cm)|
|Framed Size||16.25 inches x 14.75 inches (41cm x 37cm)|