A Royal man-of-war accompanied by other British Naval ships and rowing boats in choppy seas off the coast, with a fort and landing stage to the far left. The Man-of-War to the foreground bears the royal coat of arms to the bow and flies the red ensign of English naval ships of the time.
Peter Monamy was born in London in 1681 to Pierre Monamy from Guernsey and Dorothy Gilbert. At the age of 15 he was apprenticed to William Clark, Master of the Worshipful Company of Painter-Stainers who provided interior decorations including paintings on panelling, overmantels and murals. Many of his paintings were displayed in the shop window. He succeeded the business upon Clark’s death and began specialising in marine scenes.
He seems to have spent time in Ireland and then Plymouth painting commissions for marine and naval scenes. During the early 1720’s he settled in Westminster taking a studio there and established himself as London's pre-eminent marine painter. Monamy specialised in naval vessels at sea, usually Man-of-War ships off the British coast and often included forts or castles in his paintings.
Examples of his works are held by the Glasgow Museum, Jersey Museum, National Maritime Museum, National Trust, University of Greenwich, Victoria & Albert Museum and The Wilson.
The back of the painting is stamped 'F Leedham Liner'. Francis Leedham was a well-respected 19th century picture liner and cleaner. He worked out of 83 Berwick Street, Soho, London from 1831-1837, 3 Little Edward Street, Wardour Street from 1838-1840 and 3 Duck Lane, Edward Street from 1839-1857. He was the leading picture liner of his day and his impressed stamp can be found on the stretchers of paintings that he relined. Leedham was used by many well-known collectors such as Lord Northwick.
The painting is housed in a new, English made gilt frame, which is in excellent condition.
|Image Size||28.5 inches x 38.5 inches (72.5cm x 98cm)|
|Framed Size||36.75 inches x 46.75 inches (93.5cm x 119cm)|