Henry Frederick Lucas Lucas was born in Louth, Lincolnshire in 1848 to St. John Wells, a surgeon and Louisa Lucas. By 1871, his mother had died and the family had moved to Withington, Lancs where Lucas started a career as an architect’s pupil. However, by the age of 33 he was working as a professional animal artist and was living with his first wife Sarah in North Street, Rugby. Their son St John Welles Lucas Lucas (1879-1934) attended Oxford and became a poet publishing works from 1904. In 1890, Lucas he married Kathleen Liffie Beatson with whom he had 5 children and lived at Hillmorton Road, Rugby. At some point after 1911, he became estranged from his family. He died in Northampton in 1943.
Lucas specialised in sporting and hunting paintings usually featuring horses. He painted a number of hunting scenes of the Pytchley Hunt as well as portraits of racehorses, polo ponies and hunters such as this fine example. Many of the polo ponies and hunters he painted were owned by his patrons Earl Betty and Sir Humphrey de Trafford. A number of his paintings were published by Fores Sporting Prints including perhaps his best known work ‘Putting in the Terrier’.
A number of his works held by the National Trust, Newport Museum & Walker Art Gallery.
The painting is housed in a new, English made gilt frame which is in excellent condition. It has had a transparent reline in order to retain the original inscription (see images).
Punctual was a chestnut racehorse born in 1906. His sire was Love Wisely, a thoroughbred who was born 01/01/1893 and died 06/19/1907. His dam was Trysting Stone. He inherited his father’s colouring together with the white marking on his head. Given his fine form and pedigree, he became a fairly successful racehorse. He is listed in Sporting Life as racing from 1909 and was the winner of a number of races including the Stand Handicap at the Ayr meeting of 17 July 1912. His owners included Mr N C Cockburn in 1909and Mr Hutchison who bought him in 1910 and enjoyed success with him. Hutchison owned him from 1910 until 1914 until he retired and possibly after and is undoubtedly the person who commissioned the painting from Lucas Lucas.
|Image size||31.5 inches x 40.5 inches (80cm x 103cm)|
|Framed size||38.5 inches x 47.5 inches (98cm x 121cm)|