Sidney Richard Percy was born Sidney Richard Williams, the fifth son of the artist Edward Williams Snr. His brothers Alfred Walter, Arthur (Gilbert), Edward Charles, George Augustus, Henry John (Boddington) were all artists. He was taught by his father and was also influenced by his brother Henry John Boddington. Initially signing his works Sidney Williams, he changed his name to Percy around the age of 20 to distinguish himself from his family. At the age of 21 he exhibited at the Royal Academy becoming a regular and prolific contributor He also exhibited at the British Institute from 1843. By 1857, he had established himself as a successful artist, founding the Barnes School and attracting the patronage of Prince Albert. Percy lived at Wimbledon Park until 1863 when he moved to Hill House in Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire. In 1872, he moved to Bickley Lodge, Mead Vale in Redhill and by 1880 was living at Woodseat, Sutton in Surrey. He travelled abroad to Venice, Switzerland and Paris in 1865. Percy spent most of his time travelling around England and walking to remote areas of Scotland and Wales to paint the dramatic scenery there. He was renowned for the thought and care with which he applied his technique, and for the accuracy of his brushwork, showing a clarity of vision and detail. His paintings are as sought after today as they were in his lifetime, ranking him amongst England’s foremost landscape painters. Examples of his works can be found in the Royal Collection, the Tate Gallery, National Museum of Wales, Victoria Art Gallery, Bath, City Museum, Leeds, New Walk Museum, Leicester, York City Art Gallery, Maharaja Fatesingh Museum, Baroda and the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts.
The work is housed in a new, English made frame which is in excellent condition.
|Image Size||9.5 inches x 15.5 inches (24cm x 39cm)|
|Framed Size||16.25 inches x 22.25 inches (41cm x 56cm)|