Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux was born on 11 May, 1827 at Valenciennes, France the son of a mason. He initially studied at the Valenciennes art academy before the family moved to Paris. In 1844, he entered the École des Beaux-Arts and also studied under François Rude and Francisque Duret. He started exhibiting at the Paris Salon in 1853 and won the Prix de Rome in 1854. Soon after, Carpeaux travelled to Italy where he spent time in Rome studying at the French Academy. Whilst there he produced a number of sculptures which he exhibited at the Paris Salon, including the original plaster version of this sculpture, shown in 1858. The critical acclaim he received led to a number of important state and private commissions, helping him to achieve success and establishing his reputation.
He returned to Paris in 1861 and went on to found his own atelier in 1866, casting bronze editions of his sculptures. In the same year he received the chevalier of the Legion of Honour. He won first prize at the Exposition Universelle of 1867 in Paris. Carpeaux died on 12 October 1875, at George Barbu Știrbei's château in Bécon-les-Bruyères, outside Courbevoie near Paris.
Examples of his work can be found at the National Museum, Warsaw, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York and the Orsay Museum, Paris, France. Some of his public and architectural works can still be found at the Louvre Palace, Opera Garnier, Valenciennes and the Jardin du Luxemburg.
|Height||19 inches (48.5cm)|
|Width||7.5 inches (19cm)|
|Depth||6 inches (15cm)|