Henry Birtles was a popular Birmingham painter of landscapes and meadow scenes usually containing sheep and cattle. He moved to London in 1864 and in 1867 moved to Arundel, retaining a studio in Hampstead. By 1880, he had returned to Birmingham and in 1892 was exhibiting from an address in Alcester, Warwickshire. Birtles exhibited extensively between 1855 and 1900 at a number of galleries including: the Royal Academy, Royal Society of British Artists, Royal Society of Artists, Birmingham, Dudley gallery, Dowdeswell Galleries, as well as at the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool, Manchester City Art Gallery, Royal Hibernian Academy and the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolours. Examples of his works can be found in the Birmingham City Art Gallery and Glasgow Art Gallery.
|Image Size||8.5 inches x 12 inches (21.5cm x 30.5cm)|