Letitia Marion Hamilton was born in Dunboyne, County Meath on 30 July 1878, the daughter of Charles Hamilton and Louisa Brooke. She came from a family of famous Irish women artists: her great-grandmother was Caroline Hamilton (1771-1861), her elder sister Eva Hamilton (1876-1960) was also a talented painter, and her cousin Rose Maynard Barton (1856-1929 was a townscape and watercolour artist. She trained at the Metropolitan School of Art, Dublin alongside her sister Eva under Sir William Orpen (1878-1939) and also under Sir Frank Brangwyn (1867-1956). Letitia travelled widely painting views of Italy, France and all over Europe as well as her homeland.
She exhibited regularly at the Royal Hibernian Academy and at the Paris Salon from 1825-1928 and elsewhere and also held a number of solo exhibitions in Dublin. In 1920, together with Paul Henry, his wife Emily Grace Mitchell, Mary Swanzy, Jack Butler Yeats and others she formed the Society of Dublin Painters. She was elected a member of the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1944 and was a committee member of the Water Colour Society of Ireland. She won many accolades and prizes during her lifetime including the silver medal in the Board of Education National Competition, 1912, and the bronze medal at the Olympic Games Art Section, 1948. She died in Dublin in 1964.
The painting is housed in a new English made gilt frame of the appropriate style for the period, which is in excellent condition.
|Image Size||24 inches x 20 inches (61cm x 50.8cm)|
|Framed Size||33 inches x 29 inches (83.8cm x 73.7cm)|