Henry Garland was born in Hadlow, Kent in 1834, the son of Henry and Elizabeth Garland. At the age of 16 he went to live at Madras House School in Hackney with his uncle Thomas Garland. Thomas was headmaster there and probably assisted in furthering his artistic education. In 1853, he entered the Royal Academy Schools and began exhibiting at the RA a year later in 1854. He also exhibited at British Institution and Suffolk Street. After leaving his uncle's residence, he continued living in the Kingsland area near Hackney until 1862 when he moved to 94, St Pauls Road, Islington.
Garland is best known for his genre and animal paintings as well as his Highland scenes. Although he was based in the South East, he would often travel around visiting areas such as Suffolk, Devon and Scotland, in particular Argyleshire. Many of his Scottish paintings feature highland cattle being driven across dramatic landscapes.
By 1868, he had moved again to 75, Patshull Street, St Pancras before settling in 3, Woodfield Terrace, Maida Hill around 1873. He lived there with his wife Mary Anne and their children until the end of the 1880’s when they relocated to Leatherhead, Surrey, living at 2 Winifred Villas, Station Road. He remained there until his death at his home on 22 March, 1913.
Garland’s work is represented in a number of museums including the Leicester Museum, Russell-Cotes Art Gallery, Sunderland Museum and York Museum.
|Presentation||The painting is housed in a new, English made gilt frame which is in excellent condition.|
|Condition||As with all of our original antique oil paintings, this work is offered in ready to hang gallery condition, having just been professionally cleaned, restored and revarnished.|
|Image Size||32.25 inches x 27.25 inches (89.5cm x 69cm)|
|Framed Size||45.5 inches x 37.5 inches (115.5cm x 95cm)|